Moving From Rehab To Typical Life
Achieving sobriety is definitely an accomplishment which is incredible. However, remaining sober is another challenge by itself. Setting up goals and developing new hobbies are a few methods that can be used during the effort to stay sober.
In a controlled and supervised rehab centre, it is relatively easier to stay clean and get well.
It offers a safe and conducive environment to heal and recover from addiction.
Getting back to normal life sometimes becomes challenging after a person leaves the rehab clean.
Being able to recognize your stressors or triggers proves very helpful in maintaining status quo. This will enable them to stay away from drugs forever.
Managing Urges And Triggers Post Rehabilitation
Transitioning from rehab back to normal daily life can be challenging.
Once you are back in the real world, time and again triggers and situations that pushed you toward the path of addiction might confront you again.
Enticement may arise from some feelings you may have on getting back to your formal routines and meeting loved ones.
However, there are activities that can divert your attention from the drugs such as
- Establish Positive Relationships and Support System
- Keeping the right company, that want you to stay clean will help you in achieving a clean life after rehab.
- Locate a support group within your area or even someone you can rely upon to call when you feel the temptations again.
- Refresh Your Crowd and Everyday Surroundings
- After leaving the facility and before reaching home, you should be asking a loved one or an individual you trust to discard any paraphernalia from your place.
- Don't go near places which make you want to use the addicted substance again.
- Set Goals For The Future
- You will find yourself better equipped to handle temptations after you have defined what you want to achieve in future.
- It makes sticking to abstinence simpler if there is a deep understanding of the advantages and good effects of being abstinent.
- Scheduled Meetings Must Be Attended
- In case you are supposed to meet your physician or counsellor, ensure you don't miss them.
- At times, you might want to miss the appointments or handle your affairs on your own, but staying clean is easier when there are professionals giving you support.
- Find a reason every day to be thankful for the accomplishment you have achieved.
- It can be easier to recognise the many things that we can be thankful for when we develop a strong appreciation for the life we have been given.
- Maintain a personal journal in which each day write five things that made you happy.
- Create Fresh Healthy Habits, Replace The Old Ones
- To develop new habits so that you start doing them automatically takes more than 60 days, and therefore you should make efforts to stick with new positive changes you introduce into your life.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Partake In Sober Activities Instead Of Using
Forming positive habits and participating in healthy activities to pass time are highly recommended forms of distraction.
In the absence of alcohol and other substances, non-indulgent habits can still be interesting.
For help with staying sober post rehab, or if you need to go back, contact us on 0800 246 1509.
The following are some of the things you can take part in
- Physical fitness activities
- Involvement in athletics
- Developing a hobby on crafts or art
- Seeking formal education
- Taking courses in a new language
- Take up farming
- Offer humanitarian services
Register With A Support Group
Nearly in every city and locality, several local groups offer support to people on their way to recovery. Mingle with positive people and sign up for personal or group discussions.
The 12 stages programs, counselling sessions and Narcotics Anonymous are some of the support groups that you can join today.
The Ability To Be Around Drugs And Alcohol Without Falling Into Old Habits
This could just be one of the trigger situations that could test your control where it is best to just skip altogether. Replacing old habits can take time and that's why people who have just achieved sobriety find it much harder to resist temptation.
However, there can be situations when some type of alcohol use will become inevitable [like for example a family holiday party] and they are certain steps which you can take that can ease the situation for you.
What to do to resist urges in social gatherings
- Keep yourself accompanied with a trusted confidant.
- Only pick non-alcoholic beverages and keep them in your hands to keep you occupied.
- Arrive later and/or leave earlier to shorten your stay at the party.
- In cases where you find the urges to grow stronger, it is best to leave and find a sober place.
The Benefits Of Getting And Staying Off The Alcohol And Drugs
Your general well being will be improved when you start being sober. In addition to that, there are some advantages that you will get and not just for your health. Other benefits of staying sober
- Making new and sober friends
- Having new investments
- Excitement for life and mental clarity which is enhanced
- Ability to focus on other pleasurable activities
- Looking and feeling better
- Give new hope to other addicts who want to quit
Of all the battles you might fight, overcoming alcohol or substances abuse might be the most difficult. It certain that it is not a straightforward and easy process. You reap a sunny disposition and positive outlook in maintaining your commitment to sobriety.
Rome wasn't built in a day. Recollection of reasons you decided to stop using at the beginning helps when faced with urges to backslide.