College Pupils And Drug Overuse
Common problems on college campuses which are noticed are binge drinking, prescription and recreational drug abuse that is popular.
One of the bigger groups of substance addicts countrywide are college pupils.
The probability of drug dependency is very high in teenage years.
Adjusting to college life can be very stressful and overwhelming to some. They can join social circles where they start using alcohol and eventually get addicted to it. These addiction usually comes gradually when the continue drinking.
Drugs and booze are easily overused by full-time college students than youngsters who do not study in a campus.
Understanding Drug Use Among College Students
There are many reasons that cause people to start using these drugs such as
- For students dealing with the stress of coursework, part time jobs, internships and the likes many students turn to drugs as a coping mechanism.
- Study Pressure
- The pressure to complete their assignments within the due dates leads more students to begin taking stimulants such as Adderall, which can help them to stay awake late at night for the studies.
- These prescription medications are usually obtained without a legitimate prescription in most cases.
- Being Interested In Something New
- From a personal and professional perspective, pupils are placed before new phases of their lives.
- They will thus be curious to try out some things such as drugs and alcohol.
- Peer Pressure
- Many pupils will be lured to experiment drugs because they live in an environment where peers are constantly trying recreational and boasting drugs.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Eating Conditions And The Use Of Diet Pills
There is usually problems with dieting among many college students.
As a matter of data suggests that one in every four students have an eating disorder. To make the matters worse, the incidence rate of eating disorder among students is increasing, as shown by a study which concluded that in the last twenty years, the number of cases of a specific eating disorder has increased, both in men and women. Desperate to lose weight, a large number of students resort to diet pills to achieve their weight loss goals. This has the potential to cause severe health problems up to and including death. There is information about the effects that come with the use of these drugs.
College Drug Choices
College pupils try any type of drug depending on the latest tendencies.
There are some common drugs that can be found in nearly all the colleges. Some of them are
- The consumption of alcohol is perhaps one of the most common substance-related problems on college campuses because a vast majority choose alcohol.
- Having a drink is often believed to be socially acceptable and recognising a problem among college students who are abusing alcohol can be difficult.
- Many college pupils take drugs that improve their performance, one of them is Adderall, also referred to as the "study drug".
- Pot is now being used most by many students because many states have started legalizing it.
- The use of Marijuana has outpaced that of alcohol on many campuses.
- MDMA or molly is the pure form of ecstasy, this is a drug that was very popular in the 90s, and has recently been making its way back.
- Students in college are within the target age range for this "party drug" that is often abused by teenagers and young adults in their 20s.
- This party pill is increasingly popular among rave parties and concerts.
Alcohol Effects On College Students
A majority of students in the higher institutions use liquor. Drinking alcohol is extremely common in campus, as it is a part of every house party, student parties, and celebrations.
Alcohol is so common in college and its use rarely, if ever, is frowned at, and that's why college students as a group drink more alcohol than those who are of the same age but do not attend college.
Alcohol is used by majority of the population in the campuses.
Data suggests that almost 50 percent of students who consume alcohol have indulged in binge drinking once or many times more. Excessive consumption of alcohol is not just a major health concern within the long-term, but it can also cause immediate tragedies such as assault, injury, arrest and even fatalities. The students in higher institutions are always educated about the dangers of alcohol.
Fraternity And Sorority Drug And Alcohol Abuse
Drinking and overuse in the Greek system is more widespread than it is among pupils outside the system despite fraternities and sororities trying to form a familiar surrounding for college students to attain academic and philanthropic goals.
Survey shows that fraternity and sorority members are more predisposed to prescription drug abuse (with Adderall being the commonly abused substance among them).
Look For Support For Drug Or Alcohol Addiction
There is always help for the students in higher institutions that are having a hard time to stop using alcohol or other forms of drugs. Our addiction specialists can get you in touch with caring and experienced counsellors to help you overcome this problem. Gain your life back from overuse and dependence by contacting us now on 0800 246 1509.